April Fool’s Day is one of my favorite “holidays”! It’s a time for harmless pranks, surprises, and laughs. Me, I’m a giver. I like to “give” on April Fool’s Day. That’s why visitors to FIRESTORM FAN this past Friday were greeted with an entirely new look for the site…
Much to the surprise of everyone, FIRESTORM FAN had been transformed overnight into B’WANA BEAST’S BLOG! Click the image above for a closer look and to see more of the page. There were 10 new posts about B’wana Beast just waiting to confuse and befuddle the faithful readers of FIRESTORM FAN.
- Why a B’wana Beast Blog?
- B’wana Beast in Who’s Who 1985
- B’wana Beast gets animated!
- Best B’wana Beast Covers of All Time
- B’wana Beast Action Figures
- B’wana Beast Cosplay at DragonCon 2010
- POLL: B’wana Beast or Freedom Beast?
- B’wana Beast Temporary Tattoo
- Napoleon Dynamite’s Liger – B’wana Beast’s Greatest Achievement?
- B’wana Beast and Beta Ray Bill – Marvel vs DC Amalgam
I was fairly pleased with how it turned out. The new page layout was especially cheesy-looking (as I intended), and I fell in love with my goofy B’WANA BEAST’S BLOG logo! I thought the 1960s checkerboard topper was just the right touch. My good friend Ravenface later suggested adding an additional apostrophe to the final title, resulting in B’WANA BEAST’S B’LOG! That’s brilliant! If I’d continued with the B’wana Beast site I totally would have added that extra apostrophe.
An ironic aspect of this re-branding was that I knew practically nothing about B’wana Beast before I wrote those posts. I had seen him in Animal Man years ago, but had no recollection of those stories at all. Each post I wrote, I learned a little more about the Jungle Master. By the end I had taken a shine to the character, especially his portrayal in Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series.
Based upon some comments and message board posts, I apparently fooled a few people (or rather they were kind enough to play along). I guess changing the focus of your blog from a C-level character to an F-level character isn’t that astonishing, so some folks didn’t give it a second thought.
The real “wow” factor of this April Fool’s Day joke was the number of blogs that changed their focus from low-profile characters to even lower-profile characters. There were nine different sites participating in this re-branding crossover. Below I identify the blogs involved and present a screen-shot of their site from April 1:
- DC BLOODLINES: A blog for lesser known DC characters transformed into a site dedicated to the independent powerhouse, Marshal Law! The five sites below are all run by our good buddy and master blogger, Frank Lee Delano! Take some extra time to check out his April Fool’s Day posts. He constructed them in such a way that they look like several independent posts. The reality is that he created just one post per site last Friday, but carefully formatted each one to look like multiple posts. Amazingly clever!
- DIANA PRINCE AS THE NEW WONDER WOMAN: This Wonder Woman blog went in a bold new direction focusing on Airboy’s supporting character, Valkyrie! Plus it was done entirely in German! How cool is that?!?!
- POWER OF THE ATOM: The blog for the Atom and Captain Atom metamorphosed into a site dedicated to the 80’s sci-fi classic, Dreadstar!
- JUSTICE LEAGUE DETROIT: The blog dedicated to the Detroit-era of the Justice League was remodeled to focus on it’s hippest member, Vibe! Paco is one of my favorite forgotten characters, so this was a special treat!
- THE IDOL-HEAD OF DIABOLU, the Martian Manhunter blog shape-shifted into a site dedicated to the obscure supervillain, the Osprey!
- SPEED FORCE: The Flash blog changed it’s vibrational frequency and became a blog dedicated to Barry Allen’s evil twin, Blue Cobalt! Kelson and crew did a really great job transforming their site – redirecting to a new URL, changing the overall color from red to blue, the Twitter feed, and more!
- BOOSTERRIFIC: The blog dedicated to the king of capitalism, Booster Gold, was preempted by the comrade of communism, Red Star! On Friday, Boosterrific redirected viewers to a new URL – RedStarFire.info. I instantly fell in love with that gorgeous and iconic banner! Great job, Walter!
- THE INDIGO TRIBE: This Green Lantern blog was hijacked by Roscoe Dillon, The Top! Our pal liquidcross had some fun channeling the undead spirit of The Top. Be sure to read the comments! Hilarious!
- FIRESTORM FAN: And finally, it was goodbye Firestorm and hello B’wana Beast for this blog!
This crossover was a blast! It was very loosely organized and each blogger did their own thing. I enjoyed pulling together my B’wana Beast site and posts, but enjoyed even more reading what everyone else did for the crossover! The folks above deserve applause! Please visit their sites and heap praise upon them!
We’ve begun something of a tradition for April Fool’s Day blog crossovers. It all started back in 2009 with our big “Vibe: Rebirth” crossover – ONCE UPON A GEEK, SPEED FORCE, JUSTICE LEAGUE DETROIT, FORTRESS OF BAILEYTUDE, CRIMSON LIGHTNING, and K-SQUARED RAMBLINGS! That’s still one of my favorites!
We now return you to your regularly-scheduled Nuclear Man programming.
Support Firestorm! Fan the flame!