DC Comics released a Brightest Day teaser image on their blog yesterday. Below you’ll find the Brightest Day teaser image, click to enlarge.
Such a cool shot, and so full of clues! Below I’ve zoomed in on Ronnie and Jason so you can get a better look at what they’re doing.
JUST THE FACTS, MA’AM:
We see Ronnie and Jason working to either bury or uncover the Black Lantern Firestorm. Ronnie is standing on top of the rocks looking at the Black Lantern Firestorm, while Jason is on the ground standing in the shadows looking away from the Black Lantern Firestorm. Both Ronnie and Jason have flames around their heels. (There is also a shield and net near Jason’s foot, but I think that’s a clue for another character. I’m gonna ignore it for now.)
OKAY, NOW FOR A LITTLE SPECULATION:
What are Ronnie and Jason doing?
- Option 1: Ronnie and Jason are working together, rather than against each other, burying the Black Lantern Firestorm. This could represent them working together to bury the past and put the tragedy of Gehenna behind them.
- Option 2: Ronnie and Jason are working together, rather than against each other, to dig out the Black Lantern Firestorm. This could represent them working together to fully explore the Firestorm matrix.
- Option 3: Ronnie is burying the Black Lantern Firestorm, while Jason is uncovering the Black Lantern Firestorm. If you look at the direction each character’s head is facing, an argument could be made for this interpretation. Also, Ronnie is on top of the pile of rocks (as if he put the rocks there) and Jason is on the ground (as if he’s taking the rocks off). This could represent Ronnie trying to bury what happened as the Black Lantern Firestorm, while Jason is trying to uncover the truth.
Why flames around their feet?
- This could simply represent them as Firestorm. More likely it represents something else. Perhaps something to do with an “Achilles heel” and fire? I really don’t know.
Why is Ronnie on top of the pile of rocks while Jason is on the ground?
- See Option 3 above. Alternatively, this might represent that Ronnie is the person “on top” in the matrix, meaning he controls the body. Or it may mean nothing. I don’t think Jason in the shadows symbolizes anything.
What do y’all think? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments! By the way, I first became aware of this teaser image over on Luke’s Hawkman blog – thanks Luke!
*UPDATE* – Thanks to the magic of the interwebs, I read that this teaser image is an homage to an existing painting. Click here to see the basis of this artwork. With this knowledge it makes deducing the clues more difficult. The fact that Ronnie and Jason were drawn to conform to the pre-set orientations of the characters in the original painting makes it all the more difficult to interpret.
SOLICITATIONS FOR UPCOMING ISSUES OF BRIGHTEST DAY:
Brightest Day #6 – On Sale Today!
Deadman discovers the truth behind the formation of the White Lantern and what it means to the twelve returnees and the rest of the DC Universe. Plus, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Hawkgirl and Firestorm discover the price for their resurrections…and why they may be doing more harm than good to the world.
Brightest Day #7 (on sale Aug. 4) and Brightest Day #8 (on sale Aug. 18)
There can be only one who wields the White Lantern…but is it truly Deadman? And what will happen when he attempts to charge the white ring? Meanwhile, Ronnie Raymond risks everything for Firestorm, Martian Manhunter uncovers more clues about the bizarre string of murders stretching across the country, Aquaman searches for the key to the ocean’s survival and the Hawks come face-to-face with the evil that lurks within the strange land known only as Hawkworld!
Brightest Day #9 (on sale Sept. 1) and Brightest Day #10 (on sale Sept. 15)
The resurrected have discovered their purpose for being back, but where will the knowledge lead them? Who is the new Aqualad? And what strange event is taking place around the White Power Battery in New Mexico?
Brightest Day #11 (on sale Oct. 6) and Brightest Day #12 (on sale Oct. 20)
The return of the Black Lanterns! Has time run out for our resurrected heroes? Plus, you must not miss the stunning origin of the new Aqualad, the battle between Aquaman and Black Manta, and the bizarre journey of Jason Rusch and Ronnie Raymond as they delve into the inner workings of the Firestorm matrix and uncover its secret!
Woo Hoo! I’m looking forward to this story unfolding!
Support Firestorm! Fan the flame!