Welcome to the first installment of FIRESTORM FAN’s Nuclear News! With these segments, I’ll try and cover any recent information, character appearances, or creator updates. Since this is the first one, we’ve got some catching up to do.
- Firestorm (Jason/Gehenna) appeared in Justice League of America #28 by Dwayne McDuffie, Jose Luis, and JP Mayer. The issue hit the stands on January 2, so you can probably still find a copy. While Firestorm only appeared on two pages, he managed to throw out some pretty funny quips in his brief appearance. He actually zinged Batman, believe it or not! Given the way they ended his scene, I think it’s likely that we’ll see more of Firestorm next issue.
- Trinity #33 just hit the stands yesterday. If you haven’t been reading DC’s Trinity, Firestorm (Jason/Gehenna) has been featured regularly in the story. It’s been a good read and good usage of Firestorm. This isn’t just your typical guest appearance by the JLA where Firestorm stands in the back and doesn’t talk. He’s had a definite role to play in this series. He first appeared in issue #7 and has appeared frequently since then. You can probably still find all the back issues at your local comic book store. If not, there will be trade paperbacks collecting the story sooner or later.
- Back in December, Mattel released the DC Universe Classics Series 2 Firestorm Jason Rusch action figure. The Ronnie version had been released several months prior. If you are really lucky, you might still find the Jason Firestorm action figure at your local Target. Otherwise, you’ll probably have to pay internet prices. The lowest I’ve seen lately on the internet for this figure is around $24 after shipping. Ouch!
- Jamal Igle will be appearing at the New York Comic Con February 6-8, 2009. Jamal was one of the artists on Firestorm volume III and is now currently drawing Supergirl. You can find his schedule of tracks for the NYCC posted on his blog at http://jamaligle.blogspot.com/.
- The Justice League is slated to make a guest appearance in Titans #10, shipping February 11, 2009. Firestorm is depicted on the cover battling Starfire. You can see the cover at DC Comics online.
- Firestorm is slated to appear in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon. Jamal Igle indicated on the DC Message Boards that this will be the Jason version of Firestorm.
- This is definitely old news, but some of you may not have heard yet. Ronnie Raymond is slated to return as a Black Lantern in Geoff John’s upcoming Blackest Night storyline. Geoff John’s announced this himself back in September. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Ronnie after Blackest Night. A year ago, Johns told Comic Book Resources in an interview that he had ideas for Firestorm. He may have simply been referring to Blackest Night, but given the quote it sounds bigger than that.
“There are still tons of characters to write… Aquaman is a big one. I have very specific ideas for him. Very specific. Justice League of America, Batman, and more Flash. And Firestorm.”
- As a follow-up to that, there are rumors floating around that big things are in store for Firestorm in 2009. In a 2009 preview article, Newsarama listed nine characters to watch in 2009. While Firestorm wasn’t one of the nine, they had this to say:
…there are many, many close calls to this list – Hawkeye and Mockingbird, Aquaman, Hawkman, heck, we’ve even heard rumblings about Firestorm.
- Looking for online discussion about Firestorm? Check out the Firestorm section of the DC Comics Message Board. There is also an active thread over at Geoff John’s message board right now about Firestorm.
Support Firestorm! Fan the flame!