Is there a new Firestorm ongoing series launching this September? There is lots of big news coming out of DC Comics right now! It’s a good time to cover the facts and speculation surrounding a possible new ongoing Firestorm series.
- Most importantly, at this time there is no official confirmation from DC Comics of a new ongoing Firestorm series.
- Once Flashpoint wraps up, DC Comics will re-number their entire DC Universe line of titles, revamping characters such as Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. This revamp is a major reboot of continuity with many pieces of DC’s current status quo being rewritten and undone including character relationships and even the existence of some cast members. DC will launch 52 brand new ongoing series in September, each with a #1 issue (including Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #1). Jim Lee has spearheaded the redesign of more than 50 costumes for the relaunch.
- For the first time, the stories from the 1970s that introduced Firestorm are being collected (Firestorm vol 1 #1-5, plus stories from The Flash #289-293). DC Comics is scheduled to release this collection on July 20.
- There have been multiple rumors surrounding a possible new ongoing Firestorm series (see some examples below). While this doesn’t constitute a fact, the consistent nature of the rumors suggests some possible truth.
- Bleeding Cool ran a story yesterday that Brian Clevinger (writer of 8-Bit Theater, Atomic Robo and Marvel Adventures) was slated to write a new Firestorm series scheduled to premiere in September. Bleeding Cool had planned to announce Clevinger’s involvement with the book, but instead published that Clevinger was no longer attached to the project. Brian Clevinger’s Twitter messages on Tuesday back-up this story from Bleeding Cool.
- Firestorm was featured very heavily in Brightest Day, one of DC’s recent best selling titles. The Firestorm-related cliffhanger in Brightest Day #24 suggests we’ll see further adventures of Firestorm soon.
- The timing of the 1970s Firestorm trade paperback brings up some interesting questions. DC typically releases collections of old comics when it ties-in with a current title. A collection featuring old Firestorm issues could theoretically tie-in with a new Firestorm ongoing series.
- Back in April, a supposed DC insider revealed several post-Brightest Day creative teams. Amongst the books listed was Firestorm by Paul Cornell and Marco Rudy.
- Back in September 2010, FIRESTORM FAN broke the news of a supposed Firestorm ongoing after Brightest Day. While at an expo in Toronto, Firestorm fan Brandon Leonard was told by a certain creator from DC that he’d been offered a chance to write a new ongoing Firestorm comic. The creator indicated that he turned down the offer because he already had too many projects. The creator went on to say that a writer Brandon would love has accepted the assignment.
There you have the facts and speculation! Based upon what I’ve seen, the Bleeding Cool story regarding Brian Clevinger appears to be true. If so, then DC has been planning for a new Firestorm ongoing series to premiere in September! Hopefully the project will move forward even though Brian Clevinger is no longer attached.
Support Firestorm! Fan the flame!