Welcome to Mayfairstivus! Mayfairstivus is a celebration of Mayfair Games’ DC Heroes Role-Playing Game! This excellent RPG was published by Mayfair from 1985-1993. Today through December 9th we’ll be remembering this outstanding game.
The more observant readers may have noticed that Mayfairstivus happens to coincide with Hanukkah. Good catch. A few of us DC Comics bloggers agreed to use this year’s Hanukkah celebration as an excuse to run a series of posts related to character cards and other items from Mayfair Games’ long-running DC Heroes line. There will be a few different blogs participating, so check the links below for more Mayfairstivus activities (with apologies to the Costanza family). Many thanks go out to mastermind Frank Lee Delano (of the blogs: Martian Manhunter: Idol-Head of Diabolu, Justice League Detroit, Atom: Power of the Atom, Wonder Woman: Diana Prince, DC Bloodlines, and …nurgh…) for suggesting this celebration! Thanks, Frank!
I gotta say, I LOVE this game! I purchased all three editions as they were coming out. While I used this system on-and-off for years, I mostly played while the second edition was the current release. The 1985 and 1989 editions were packaged as box sets, whereas the 1993 edition was a softcover volume. See the covers to all three editions below.
The groups I played with always used our own original characters, but I still picked up quite a few of the sourcebooks and modules. Click the image below to enlarge.
DC helped support the game system with house ads in their comic books. The ad below featuring Firestorm ran in comics cover-dated April 1986. I always liked that Firestorm was labeled as a “Rising Star”. It made me feel like he was definitely going places.
If you’ve ever role-played superhero games, then I’m sure you feel there was a “magical” system for you. One that sticks out in your memory as a fantastic game system. Mayfair is that system for me! It wasn’t the game mechanics that I loved, it was more about the products and accessories.
The Mayfairstivus celebration continues at the following blogs! Be sure to check them out throughout the Mayfairstivus celebration.
- The Anti-Didio League of America
- The Aquaman Shrine
- Booster Gold: BOO$TERRIFIC
- Comics Make Me Happy!
- The Continuity Blog
- DC Bloodlines
- Diana Prince as The New Wonder Woman
- Doom Patrol: My Greatest Adventure #80
- Flash: Speed Force
- Girls Gone Geek
- Green Lantern: The Indigo Tribe
- Hawkman: Being Carter Hall
- Justice League Detroit
- Martian Manhunter: The Idol-Head of Diabolu
- Once Upon A Geek
- Power of the Atom
- Subject: The Suicide Squad (Task Force X)
- Supergirl Comic Box Commentary
Finally, here are a few previously published Mayfair-related posts by friends worth checking out too!
- Firestorm’s stats from Mayfair’s Who’s Who supplement – FIRESTORM FAN
- Firehawk’s stats from Mayfair’s Who’s Who supplement – FIRESTORM FAN
- Killer Frost’s stats from the 1989 edition of DC Heroes – FIRESTORM FAN
- Blue Devil’s stats from Mayfair’s Who’s Who supplement – ONCE UPON A GEEK
- Watchmen’s stats from the Mayfair module Who Watches the Watchmen? – ONCE UPON A GEEK
- Superman characters from the 1985 & 1989 DC Heroes editions – FORTRESS OF BAILEYTUDE
- Aquaman’s stats from the 1985 DC Heroes edition – THE AQUAMAN SHRINE
- Aquaman’s stats from the 1993 DC Heroes edition – THE AQUAMAN SHRINE
- Deathstroke the Terminator’s stats from the 1993 DC Heroes edition – POWER OF THE ATOM
- Steel’s stats from the 1993 DC Heroes edition – DC BLOODLINES
- Wonder Woman’s stats from the 1993 DC Heroes edition – WONDER WOMAN: DIANA PRINCE
- Martian Manhunter’s stats from the 1993 DC Heroes edition – IDOL-HEAD OF DIABOLU
- Batman’s stats from the 1993 DC Heroes edition – JUSTICE LEAGUE DETROIT
- Atlas of the DC Universe – IDOL-HEAD OF DIABOLU
- 1985 Grenadier Models JLA & Adversaries Miniatures – … NURGH …
- Martian Manhunter 1985 Grenadier JLA & Adversaries Miniature – IDOL-HEAD OF DIABOLU
- Commentary on the same DC Comics house ad for the Mayfair game that I ran above – NURGH …
- Another DC Comics house ad for the Mayfair game featuring the Teen Titans – … NURGH …
- Siskoid’s collection of home made stats – DC HEROES – SISKOID’S COLLECTION
Be sure to come back tomorrow when we look at Firestorm from the 1985 edition of the game!
Support Firestorm (and Mayfairstivus)! Fan the flame!